The “antibiotic apocalypse” may already be upon us.
According to Dame Sally Davies, chief medical officer for England, 50,000 people are dying every year in Europe and the US from infections that antibiotics have lost the power to treat”. http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/19/englands-chief-medical-officer-warns-of-antibiotic-apocalypse
“Antibiotics are currently being handed around “like sweets”, Lord O’Neill has warned, allowing deadly bacteria like E.coli and Salmonella to mutate into drug-resistant strains”. “Without action, he said, super bugs risk making routine surgery potentially lethal, killing millions and costing the world economy $100 trillion a year by the middle of the century.” http://m.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11641230
So what can you do to support and strengthen your immune system, to prevent infections, help yourself recover quickly and avoid antibiotic use.
• Eat garlic regularly. Garlic is a natural anti-biotic, can kill bacteria, fungi and parasites.
• Add warming, pungent spices such as ginger, chilli and cinnamon to your cooking to promote defensive immune activities and provide effective treatments for respiratory infections.
• Eat a wide variety of fruit and vegetables, choosing organic where possible to get sufficient nutrients required by your immune system.
• Echinacea: more and more research supports its immune enhancing activities. Just take 5mls daily maintenance dose, this can be doubled or even tripled if infection threatens.
• Ongoing stress weakens your immune system. In this case, support yourself with tonic herbs such as withania and the ginsengs.
If you know that you or your children have a weak immune system, come into the dispensary and talk to one of our qualified medical herbalists to get a personal treatment plan.
The Herbal Dispensary Clinic and Organic Foodstore. Ph 07 825 7444.